Welcome, welcome to my first ever monthly recap for the year of 2018!
I said late last year that something I really wanted to do was bring back monthly wrap-up posts, but I wasn’t interested in talking just about books and blogging; I wanted to talk about the movies and TV shows I had watched and some of the music I had listened to.
And I’m so happy to say that it has arrived, and I’m extremely happy with the result! I really hope you guys enjoy it as well since I rarely get to talk about these things anywhere else with other people, so I hope this doesn’t completely flop.
(Also, I watched WAY more movies than the ones listed, but most of them were total trash that I found on Netflix, so I didn’t bother wasting space. Feel free to ask me what they were if you’re curious!)
- Flatliners (2017). I pretty much expected this to be a terrible movie and only watched it because I do really enjoy my horror movies, and thought this one would be pretty fun to watch. As I expected, it was absolutely awful, but I did find it to be pretty entertaining, so not a complete waste of time.
- Hush. I FINALLY got the chance to re-watch this movie, and I actually fell in love with it even more the second time around! Also, it was ten times less scarier to watch it in broad daylight than eleven at night. Ahem.
- Black Butterfly. I actually almost gave up on this one about three or four times because it was SO SLOW, but there was something pulling me forward. After reaching the end, I definitely should’ve just given up. There was a BRILLIANT twist near the end, and I was almost going to include it in my favorite movies of all time…and then there was a second twist that just ruined the entire movie. I AM SO ANGRY.
- Lady Bird. I actually was not even planning to watch this movie, but then EVERYONE was raving about it, so I gave in. I AM SO GLAD. Honestly, I feel like Greta Gerwig just hacked into my life – a girl in high school who has dreams of moving out of her boring town to go to college in New York and has an up-and-down relationship with her mother? THE STORY OF MY LIFE. And I cried at the end. I clearly highly recommend.
- Panic Room. I honestly can’t believe I almost missed out on this movie? I love David Lynch as a director since he nails the dark atmosphere of thrillers, and this one didn’t disappoint. I really enjoyed it, and I must watch all the Lynch movies out there!
- You’re Next. Again, another re-watch that I’ve been waiting for, and it didn’t disappoint. It was even more entertaining to watch the second time around knowing what’s going to happen and understanding that it’s supposed to be funny. WHY IS THIS MOVIE SO UNDERRATED?
- Maze Runner: Death Cure. My best friend and I love the Maze Runner movies because they’re just so much fun, so we decided to go see the movie for her birthday! I actually haven’t read the book, so I can’t comment on how accurate it is, but it was a really fun movie and concluded the movie trilogy quite well.
- Good Behavior (Seasons 1 & 2). I ended up watching this show on a whim despite telling myself I wouldn’t watch it a year or so ago, but I’m SO GLAD I DID. This show is fantastic! Letty and Javier are the perfect messed-up anti-heroes I’ve ever dreamed of, the side characters are perfection, the humor actually makes me laugh out loud, and Letty and Javier are the best couple. Crossing my fingers we get a season 3!
- Outlander (Seasons 1, 2, & 3). I watched the pilot about two years ago…and then never continued (whoops). I finally decided to do so in December, and why did I not watch this show earlier? It definitely has a slow start, but there was a certain point where I just couldn’t stop watching. I blew through all three seasons in less than a weak, and now I’m going through extreme Droughtlander because season 4 isn’t coming until the end of the year. I MISS JAMIE AND CLAIRE.
- Black Mirror (Season 4). I have been eagerly anticipating new episodes for such a long time, and they did not disappoint, my friends! My absolute favorites were easily U.S.S. Callister, Crocodile, and Black Museum. The ones I felt meh about were Arkangel and Hang The DJ. My least favorite was Metalhead.
- Shooter (Season 1). I randomly decided to watch this show because it was on Netflix and I absolutely love action movies (despite hating guns in real life. Go figure). This was like the less sophisticated version of The Punisher (which I highly recommend!), but I did enjoy it, and I’ll probably watch season 2 once it arrives.
- Spartacus (Seasons 2 & 3). And here is my first finished show of 2018! I actually watched the first season two or so years ago, but never continued, but because I had three snow days a couple weeks back, I took the opportunity. I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH. It’s over-the-top with the violence, sex, and slow-motion, but it’s so much fun. It’s basically Game of Thrones on steroids. Also, Nasir and Agron gave me life.
- Riverdale (Season 2). Despite telling myself I would never watch this show after hating the pilot, I caved and watched the rest, and, yep, I’m obsessed now. This show is so dumb, but it’s so much fun and understands what it is, so I can’t help myself. I can’t wait to see what the rest of this season will bring!
- 9-1-1 (Season 1). Another show that’s really dumb, but I just really enjoy it for what it is! It’s entertaining to see what the heck will happen next. I sincerely hate Buck though, and I am so tired of the “white dude is a player who can’t take anything seriously” trope. LET IT DIE. I’m also tired of every woman losing all sense when Buck is near and be overcome with some strong sense to have sex with him no matter what. WHY?
- All the Vera Blue. I discovered Vera because one of her songs was in the background of a scene during a show, and I loved it, so I’d like to give a formal thank you to TuneFind for helping me fall in love with this wonderful artist. Her voice is enchanting, and I just can’t even with her lyrics. I highly recommend watching her sing Hold live. | Must-Listens: Hold, Settle, Patterns, First Week, Give In, We Used To, Private, Magazine, Pedestal/Cover Me, Mended
- My My My! by Troye Sivan. I’ve loved Troye Sivan for years now, and I was so hyped when I heard he was making new music because it’s been two years since Blue Neighborhood. It did not disappoint! I can’t stop listening to this song on repeat. I can’t wait for the new album, and his single on the Love, Simon soundtrack (!!!).
- Outlander Vol. 1 & 2. I was obsessed with this one song on the show, and it was driving me crazy that I couldn’t figure out what it was. And then I learned that there’s a soundtrack out there, and lo and behold, I finally found it! Raya Yarbrough’s vocals are INCREDIBLE. | Must-Listens: Dance of the Druids, The Summoning
- Bright: The Album. The movie didn’t get too-hot reviews, but I did listen to the entirety of the soundtrack because the singles were so good. I absolutely love it. Some fantastic hype music in here. | Must-Listens: World Gone Mad, Home, Crown, Darkside, Danger, Smoke My Dope
- Camila by Camila Cabello. I’ve been tracking Camila ever since she left Fifth Harmony because she’s easily my favorite, and, no offense, but I haven’t liked a Fifth Harmony song since the Reflection album. I had really enjoyed all the singles, so I was looking forward to this, and it was really good! Her voice is incredible; I don’t care what people say. | Must-Listens: All These Years, Havana, Consequences, Something’s Gotta Give, Into It
- Mania by Fall Out Boy. I confess that I only got into this band because of American Beauty/American Psycho, which I adore, but since then, I’ve loved their music. I already had a feeling I’d love this album since I fell in love with all the singles, and I was right, of course. WHAT A RIDE. | Must-Listens: Young And Menace, Champion, Stay Frosty Royal Milk Tea, HOLD ME TIGHT OR DON’T, The Last Of The Real Ones, Wilson (Expensive Mistakes), Church, Heaven’s Gate
- The Kids Are Alright by Chloe x Halle. I actually have known about these two since their Disney days, but because I watched Grown-ish, I found out that they were actually still making music! I discovered this single, and now I cannot stop listening to it. THEIR VOICES ARE STUNNING TOGETHER.
what are some movies and tv shows you’ve watched recently? any good music you’ve heard? have you heard or watched any of the same things?